Friday, November 14, 2014

Day 2–November 14, 2014

I had to laugh this morning.  I got up early and went in the kitchen to make coffee.  I had to think about it for a minute or two.  I am so spoiled with my Keurig and my pods I almost forgot how to make coffee the good old fashioned way by measuring it with a scoop.  I was successful and the coffee tasted just fine and the sunrise was wonderful. 

IMG_6371

Next on the agenda, what should we do today?  After looking through some of the brochures we picked the Wailua River boat ride to the Fern Grotto.  We’ve done this before but it’s probably been 25 years  Believe it or not, nothing has changed, it looked exactly the same……..still beautiful.

IMG_6374

Scene from the dock.

IMG_6377

And off we go up the river. 

IMG_6378

This is “Sleeping Giant”  he’s laying on his back.  You might have to squint a little to see him. 

IMG_6380

Our guide talking about some of the history of the Fern Grotto.  Next up, here come the hula dancers. 

IMG_6383

Here are some of the ferns hanging at the entrance to a cave.  The last time we were here you were able to go into the cave but after a particularly bad rainy season a few years ago it was deemed unsafe so now you can only look from a short distance.  

IMG_6381

IMG_6387

One of the highlights of the trip was Linda who “attempted” to teach John more about his iPhone.

IMG_6372

On the return we decided that for lunch we wanted a traditional Hawaiian plate lunch.  So we asked a local and he kind of pointed and said the market place.  Sounded simple enough but we just about ran the battery on John’s phone using the GPS to find it.  We finally gave up and did what any good quilter would do…….we went to the quilt shop to ask them where to find a good plate lunch.

Kapaia Stitchery, here we come. 

Kauai Quilt Shop

I forgot to take any pictures while I was inside but I’m fairly certainly we’ll be back before the week is over.  However I did make a nice little purchase and we did get directions to a great place to get a plate lunch back near our condo.

Here it is, a perfect little “dive”.

koloa-fish-market-kauai

Back to the condo and time to relax and start thinking about tomorrow.  We’ll decide for sure in the morning but we’re thinking a coffee estate. 

I think we’ll end day 2 with a sunset picture taken from out lanai. 

IMG_6392

BTW, we’ve only gotten sprinkled on for a few minutes since we arrived but there was a lot of cloud cover this evening. 

Until tomorrow………

Hugs,

John and Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment