Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 3 – Thursday Washington DC

Today was a very cold and rainy day but we toughed it out.  We spent most of the morning outdoors doing a lot of sightseeing.  The good news is that because it was so wet (and I do mean wet) there were absolutely no crowds.  In fact I think we were the only ones at the fairly new Roosevelt Memorial.  Even in the rain it is very impressive and beautiful.  Here’s a few pictures of the wonderful statues that are an integral part of the memorial.

Picture 003

Picture 006

Picture 007

Picture 008

Picture 010

Aren’t they just fabulous?  It was definitely worth venturing out in the rain.

Next we walked to the Korean War Memorial.  Although it fairly  small it was probably one of the most moving. 

Picture 012

I should have taken picture of the individual statues they were each wonderful but it was really wet and we were on the move.

Next, the Lincoln Memorial.  Once again, because of the rain it wasn’t very crowded.

Picture 013

These are some of the steps we talked up. 

Picture 016

Here he is old Abe himself.

Picture 020

John and President Lincoln.

Picture 022

Robin and Abe.  I suppose I should have asked someone to take a picture of all of us, John, Robin and Abe but it was just too darn cold.

Picture 014

This is a picture from the top of the steps of the Lincoln Memorial looking out at the Washington Monument.  Even on a dark, dreary day it’s most impressive.

At this point we were very close to the Vietnam Memorial so we knew we couldn’t miss it. 

Here’s a couple of pictures. 

Picture 028

Picture 029

Sorry that’s a very poor picture of the Wall with all the names but I thought it would turn out better.

Next we had a late lunch and them went to the American Art Museum.  It was a little ho-hum for us but look who was right near the entrance just waiting to greet us.

Picture 037

None other than Tommy Lasorda.  And, as I sit here typing the Dodger verses the Philly’s is on TV. 

We’ve done a lot of walking but we’re having a wonderful time.  Tomorrow we’re going to the Space and Science Museum and the Museum of American History.  Should be another great day.

Love you all, thanks for following along.

John and Robin

1 comment:

  1. My brother's name is on the Vietnam Wall. I should have remembered to tell you that in advance. I do have an etching from there and it doesn't look like it would have been a good day for trying to get one. So glad you are having such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete