Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 13 – Bay Ridge, Brooklyn - Sunday

Our last full cay of vacation and we spent it with John’s family.  John’s brother Bill has been in the hospital since Wednesday but he was able to come home today.  Thank goodness he looks great and is going well. 

The day started off slow for us, we walked around the familiar neighborhood looking for just the right place to have breakfast.  We ended up at a small restaurant called Paradise Diner.  Although it didn’t have that old diner look it had that old diner food and waitress.  She called me “love” the entire time and I was feeling very special until I realized she called everyone “love”.  She had a wonderful Brooklyn accent.  It was nice to sit and have a nice quite breakfast. 

As we finished breakfast we got a phone call with the good news that Bill would be coming home.  We finished up eating and head over to the house.  While waiting for Bill to get home, John’s niece Becky and I walked to the local tattoo parlor, no I didn’t get a tattoo, we went so that I could buy John a T-shirt.  The name of the place is “Made in Brooklyn” and I decided John needed a shirt from there.  After all, he was “Made in Brooklyn”.  Unfortunately it was closed, so the shirt will have to wait for another time. 

On the walk back, Becky and I stopped so that I could take a picture from the other end of the street.

DC10252009 001

and then a picture from across the street.

DC10252009 003

This is a two family home.  Bill, his wife Elvira and daughter JoAnne live upstairs.  John’s niece, Elizabeth and her daughter Becky live downstairs.  When John was little, his Mother and her three sons lived downstairs and they rented out the upstairs.  that changed many years ago when it became all family in the home.   You can’t really tell from the picture but the outside is all decorated for Halloween.  I guess I need to do that when I get home.

So here’s some of the family photos.

DC10252009 005

John and brother Bill

DC10252009 009

Robin and Elvira

DC10252009 006

Becky and her Grandpa Bill

DC10252009 007

Becky and JoAnne.

DC10252009 008

JoAnne and John (John is JoAnne’s uncle and godfather)

DC10252009 010

Bill and his sister-in-law Elvira.

By the way, in case your wondering we did have pizza one more time this afternoon.  Then more cheesecake and leftover Italian food from last night.  I am definitely going to have to go back to Weight Watchers after this trip.

We are now checked in to our hotel near JFK airport.  The TV is tuned in to the Angels and we’re happy we’re headed home. 

One more update tomorrow to finish out the trip.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Love you all,

John and Robin

1 comment:

  1. Well, it will be nice to see you on Wednesday. This was a wonderfull trip for the two of you. It was nice to follow along.

    ReplyDelete