We finally got out of the city today. This morning we picked up a rental car and headed west. Our friend Linda Castle recommended we go to Intercourse, PA to visit an Amish/Mennonite community that has some wonderful quilt shops. It was about an 1:15 minute drive from downtown Philadelphia.
Our first stop was The Old Country Store (just my kind of place).
I won’t bore you with all the pictures but here’s a peek at what’s inside.
This was just some of their fabric. Believe it or not I didn’t buy any fabric. However they had lot’s of consignment quilts for sale.
The first time in the store was a little overwhelming. I saw quilts I liked but nothing that I couldn’t live without.
We then headed to some other stores including Zooks. I can’t believe I didn’t take a picture in Zooks but it was really interesting. there were quite a few Mennonite women shopping while we were there.
Lunch was at a very nice restaurant that neither John nor I can remember the name. But it was good. After lunch we headed back over to The Old Country Store and this time when I looked at the quilts one of them “talked” to me. It wasn’t an Amish quilt but it was made by a local Mennonite women. We laid it out on a bed in the store and I knew it had to go home with me. I was so excited I forgot to take a picture. It’s being shipped home so next week when it arrives I’ll post a picture. It’s a Double Wedding Ring quilt that will fit our bed. The quilting in the open areas is lovely. I can hardly wait to get it.
Next door to the store were a bunch of huge tractors. In order to appreciate the size I made John stand next to them.
We’re not exactly farm folk so we don’t have a clue what these huge things are but they are certainly big.
As we headed back, John attempted to get some pictures of the “Fall Colors”. Unfortunately we are at the very beginning of the change but there was some pretty color although I’m not sure you can tell from these picture.
We should have stopped and taken some better pictures but we just didn’t. However we did make one stop on the way back.
What can I say, I have a hard time driving by. Most of you already know that about me.
We’re now in our room, watching the Angel’s and thinking positive thoughts.
Tomorrow morning we pack up, get on the train and head to Penn Station in the “Big Apple”. We’ve have theater tickets tomorrow night so we are getting very excited.
Talk to you all again tomorrow.
Love Ya!
John and Robin
OMG, I can't wait to see the quilt. Wahoo! And, it will fit your bed? I'm so glad you are both having such a good time. Brent, Jolene, and I visited Intercourse, PA about 30 years ago. I wonder if it has changed much.
ReplyDeleteReally, Walmart and a quilt? You don't have those in Ca! jk
ReplyDeleteI am anxious to see the quilt too. It will be a wonderful souvenir. Did Walmart have anything different? Luv you.